Friday, July 19, 2013

BUSY FOR FREE

You know that song "Money For Nothing" by the Dire Straits? They wrote that about Motley Crue. There, your music trivia for the day.

Now that I don't have a job, I'm staying pretty busy. For free. Doesn't add up once I think about it...

My biggest thing this week was an application to the League of American Bicyclists for Lafayette to be designated at a "Bicycle Friendly Community". Now I realize, by up front and personal experience, Lafayette is most certainly NOT a "Bicycle Friendly Community". But I want it to be, and come to find out there's a ton of other people that want that too. If your city doesn't get the designation, the LAB provides invaluable feedback that you can then take to your council person or whomever and start working together towards reaching your goals (this is my personal plan anyway). They only accept applications every 6 months, so I decided to embark on this little project (unbeknownst to me) 24 hours before the deadline. This made the application a bit sparse but I Was Determined not to have to wait 6 months. And it was, you know, workable, but I wasn't really going to tell anyone about it because there wasn't much to it. Then though LAB asked for local reviewers and the more the better, so what the heck, I had done the best I can, so I asked a ton of people to review it. More than I actually even know. SO if you're one of 'em, No Laughing!
We'll get the results back Novemberish, I'll have the next application well on it's way by then, so February 2014 is my target date.

ALSO Feb 2014 is the NOLA RnR! This is the time to start training if you're not a runner; if you can put in 30 minutes a day or every other day for the next 30 days, you'll be in good shape to run it. In fact, if you start in 30 days, you'll be fine. So I'll remind you again! My info is not based on any coach or anything though, just info from Hal Higdon's website. I'd welcome coaching! Here's the 30/30 plan if you don't run: Hal Higdon's Beginning Runner's Guide
*Here's my training log: Training Log
**If you can't make that one I'll also be at Laffy's inaugural marathon the following month! http://zydecomarathon.com/

This Saturday is the inaugural free "Watermelon Ride", celebrating the placement of "Share The Road" signs in north Lafayette. The TriCajun's president, John Hebert, had gotten the Lafayette Consolidated Government to agree to them after I was hit. Needless to say, I will be there!! For more information, go here: BikeLafayette's Website

Not much has changed on the physical front; I've been working and I can feel a little bit more, and I'm a tiny bit faster, but not by much. My hand relaxes a tiny bit more but all progress right now is slow and minute. Still progress but I see why people that have been doing this a long  time get frustrated,  there's still so far to go!

It will never ever ever be good or fair that this happened, but I talked to an Episcopalian priest about similar things a couple of years ago, and she said that prayer doesn't change what happens, but it does open our eyes to the blessings that do occur. One thing is that I've been able to be a stay-at-home mom this summer. I could only take 10 days off of work when I had Snakebyte (or Liamuiga, ha - what nicknames!) and I lloovvee it! Yeah we get bored, and he's a handful at times but on the whole this is a good experience that I would have never had if I didn't get  hit. We frequent the library and train together (well, I walk and he runs) and he bikes all the time  and we cook and play with the pets and argue and go to the park, etc etc. I can't imagine life any other way right now.
This is what my kid did when I asked to take his picture!

Lastly but not leastly, my favorite triathlon blogger is back at it! This one includes dinosaur bones. http://laurazaunbrechertris.blogspot.com/


Adios amigos, buenos dias!

No comments:

Post a Comment