Friday, September 6, 2013

The name of the game is to NOT overtrain (I've been losing a lot)

 I got down to less than 32 min/mi this week. I started to FEEL how sore my hamstrings, calves, and quads are, which is great because I don't just get hypertonic I know where it's coming from, but OWWWW!! And, I must have been overtraining a lot. It's hard not to, I have a training plan but lately I've been getting too excited to follow it! Sooooo....I started a few more things this week. Sigh. What am I going to do with myself.

Therapy is still my mainstay.
I must give a shout out to Lydia, and a huge one to Jerrod, without them none of this may have happened.
PILATES is one of them, with the amazing Alyce Morgan Wise at the Camelia House; I mentioned last week she heard my story and we have mutual friends, and offered her services. She combines Pilates with the Franklin Method. I'm so so stoked about this! I went twice so far, and am scheduled a couple of times a week coming up. It's Exactly perfect for me! Core stability and balance, I'm already seeing a difference. Another lady there offered "rolfing" so I'll let you know how that goes!

This guy Joe taught himself to walk, and invented Pilates doing it

ACUPUNCTURE is the second with Ms. Emily Calvert. She also practices in Boulder, and was the first Five Element acupuncturist in Lafayette (the others now were her clients). It's a whole different way of thinking for me, and the first session was 2 hours of talking and testing, no needling. I'm excited to see how it works!

I won't even pretend to understand this

SWIM COACH! The third is a very nice man who is a USAT swimming coach, and teaches the Total Immersion method. We talked extensively about my injury and proprioception etc deficits, and he's going to coach me!! We're going to meet with my therapist next week. To top things off he called Terry Laughlin of Total Immersion  while I was there and we discussed what to do, sooo super stoked. He's not even batting an eye at me being able to compete in triathlon again. I could go on and on and on about how much I truly look forward to this!



Met a lot of great people this week. I love Lafayette, I love the community. If I really and truly get through all this it will be because of my community; the people that have surrounded me. Always surround yourself with good people.

My favorite twin triathletes are racing in London next Friday at the Sprint World Championships. I wrote an article for USAT etc about them, coming out Tuesday as a follow-up to the story I wrote about them last year. That story I wrote before I was hit, and it came out when I was in the hospital. It gave me something more to focus on when it came out! I could say a lot about this right now but I will save it for next week because I promised myself I would keep it short ;) Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment