Friday, March 29, 2013

F.U.!! (Is that a good acronym for "Friday Update"?)

It's been an exciting week! Rebel turned 13 (here's my post about it) and Snakebyte lost his first tooth!
Kinda love these  guys                                            


 Speeches & press & another article oh my! Twitter has been fun this week! There has been a request not to call it my "broken neck," but something better. "Healing neck," "better than new neck," "knitting neck," "neckofsteel," "neckwreck," "neck nouveau," heck I even got called "Moneck" ;) Ya'll got anything? My only request, it must be a grammar gimmick! Big thanks to @PitchingtheWoo & the fabulous Rev Ev!


MONDAY I was given the opportunity by Matt Massey to speak with the Tri-Cajuns about my struggle, and it was an incredibly emotional time for me. NOT because of the broken-neck thing, but because I was personally able to thank people for the incredible support, and some of it I didn't even know or remember. The sweetness of people never stops amazing me, I never get used to the feeling. I had *heard* about a triathlete that stayed with Eric and me the whole time (Koby, I got to meet him!,) and I didn't know about what Ashley Delaune went through to find me and to make sure someone was there to take care of the kid and me...it was sooo heartwarming, I had only known her a small time before. She is the proud new owner of the Smoothie Factory in Laffy off of Johnston...if you ever go there you are supporting really loving people! One of my best friends in Laffy Town (Annette) came to the meeting to watch my talk too, I don't know if I'd have made it through without her. Also speaking was Dr. Keith Terro, a chiropractor & triathlete, about stretching for runners, and John Hebert, the Tri-Cajuns president, about the work his rotary club has done for cycling signage.


TUESDAY BikeLafayette is an organization I'm getting involved in that advocates building a bicycling community as part of Lafayette's growth. I joined them at the Lafayette Consolidated Government to hear the City-parish Council (as the Metropolitan Planning Organization) proclaim April as Bike Month, and then supported them to vote to use 10% of annual Urban Systems funding for Bike/Pedestrian improvements in the greater Lafayette area. Through a misunderstanding I was called up to speak at the vote, which seemed to turn out fine, as it was supported by a unanimous decision!


WEDNESDAY Yesterday's speaking mishap landed us on the front page of The Advertiser with me all up in it (here: Cyclists encourage sharing the road) which is awesome because I love being part of this group. Also, I had my first session with the world-renowned chiropractor Keith A. Terro II, D.C., C.C.S.P.! Well, Lafayette-renowned at the very least! After we spoke for the Tri-Cajuns Monday, I asked him if he had any ideas about the co-contraction of my right quads/hams. We all remember there is nothing proven to fix this, but he's got a few methods to try! Also there are some things to improve my proprioception. Today, we utrasounded my quads and hamstrings, and then he massaged my quads. I don't know what You'r experience has been, but mine is that there are NO comfortable massages in therapy, sheesh!! It was incredibly worth it. I have kinesio tape on my quads and hams now. I'll keep you updated!
Kinesio taping! Or, my version of the Facebook "=" ;)

THURSDAY I'm going to mention another business run by good-hearted people, T-Coon's. Today I needed to go to therapy and T-Coon himself brought me. I have so much more to say about the family that owns this place, but I'll save it for another day! Wulf was out this week, but his used-to-be partner Kristen was there, and we practiced walking with a cane quite a bit this week. Also tons of exercise for my hip. I did a lot of back strengthening this week too! I'm incredibly thankful that I can start building muscle again instead of just struggling to even stand! I've started walking wrong, compensating, which I can't do if I'm going to get back to normal, so I had to break all  these bad habits, which makes me walk tons slower. Dang!

FRIDAY Today! Seems like it should go pretty well considering the rest of the week. I'm sad because Liam won't be here due too visitation, and we have a fun weekend planned - the Holi Festival for one! Plus it's been stressful on the pick-up/drop-off,  and then there's everything else with this situation....too much to think about. This is MY situation where I have to remember not to stress abut what I cannot control!

Happiness is this right here

Have A Fantastic Weekend My Friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment