Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Paratriathlon...the Beginning

I'm not happy about this. I want to be, I'm trying, but I'm still pretty newly "disabled" and there's something to being called a "paratriathlete" that I'm not ready to label myself with yet. I really feel that I won't be in that category forever, or even for a long time. I'm INCREDIBLY lucky, I've met so many great people who have way worse injuries than me that might not have the support and opportunities I do. But I can't focus on them and they can't focus on me. We're All at different points at our lives, what good does comparing ourselves do?

I contacted Paralympics NOT to train, but only to get information. Spinal cord injuries can manifest a multitude of problems, and one of them is "anhidrosis," which is an inability to sweat. My skin can't sweat or produce oil below the level of my lesion (neck.) Also, I might not be able to get my heart rate up enough to do cardio. This may all heal, but it may not. I couldn't find good information on how to work with this, so I contacted them for resources.



When USA Paratriathlon contacted me back, I deleted the message, only to days later recover it and file it away.  Then after this mess with the half marathon craziness I decided to contact them back. I mean, this could be a good stepping stone to get back to triathlon training, right? Plus, it would be cool to have a coach; I never had one.

I talked to them today. They were excited to share that paratriathlon will debut in the Paralympics in Rio 2016. They're going to try to set me up with some local parathlete coaches, who will work closely with my therapists and doctor. I need to find a place to start swimming again, and I'm going start being more active with cycling on the trainer - I've been on it but my body's still so messed up! I don't know where all this is going to take me and I'm hella scared to see what my limitations are. But I have no choice; basically either go for my goals or not! I wouldn't know how to define myself if I didn't try. No matter how hard the struggle is I still have things I have to accomplish, and worrying about how painful the journey will be is a complete waste of time.

IN OTHER NEWS! Filming for the local channel KATC was incredibly fun! Here's Nic & Me: VIDEO



No comments:

Post a Comment