Friday, May 3, 2013

>1 Mile Walkering Friday Update!

Well if ya hadn't heard the news, I'm training for a half marathon! In Feb 2014. I'm keeping my training log HERE if you want to keep up!! (my post on it is HEREThis is on top of 2 hours of therapy 3x/week, and the regular stretching and strengthening that I do just about every day.
Average walking speed is 17-20 min/mi, and I'm at about, oh, 80 min/mi using the walker, a bit slower with the cane, so I'm at 25% average. SO slow, ha! But it's all about form and not about speed right now; as my form improves I naturally get faster. My limiting factors are still my right quads over-firing, and my balance due to lack of feeling in my right ankle.

This week is a big change for me. I walkered over a mile for the first time in over 6 months! I now know that I'm going to be able to walk again, maybe even race again. Have my hands full functioning again. Lots of ya already *knew* this, but I did not. It was always a big IF and I had to try anyway, but now it's when. WHEN.
And you know what? I'm Already doing better than people that are fully functioning. USA Today just yesterday put out this report that most people aren't meeting the federal physical activity recommendations. I know people that can't walk a mile because they simply don't try. I'm not one of them. You're not either. We've got this.

Not to say there's people that can't. There was a time that I didn't know if I could or not, but the point is you work with what you have, do what you can. Life sucks and it ain't fair. But it still feels better to make the most of it than sit around and let the bad stuff define you. Doesn't make it fair, just better than the alternative.

LAFTTA - ha! Good acronym!

I Need Money! Sheesh. The HR department at UL gets a big "F" as far as I'm concerned. It's not even a question of whether I'm able to go back, literally they questioned whether the right doctor signed the therapist's documents and if they falsified information before they faxed it. What?? And instead of asking me to help them figure it out, they decide to just file it away and wait for the "correct" information. And are being evasive about what really is the correct information. So I called their boss, we'll see!
I want a job. I'll go back to school if that's what it takes. I would honestly do anything (legal!) for a good quality of life and enough money to pay off my debt. So so tired of being so so stressed all the time.

UPDATE: HR called back this morning, super sweet, and I have a meeting on Monday...maybe this is a good break!

Have an awesome weekend!






1 comment:

  1. You have a great attitude and outlook. I always look forward for your Friday updates. Thanks for sharing. You remind me of a saying "Life is what you make it."

    ReplyDelete